Shaker High

Tuesday, December 11, 2007

My Daily Reminder

While attending Siena College, I had the opportunity to volunteer for Urban Scholars, where I helped expose inner city adolescents to a variety of college courses and potential career paths. I had the privilege to do 20 hours of observation at a local inner city school in the Albany School District. Also, I chaperoned multicultural overnights for prospective students. Most significantly, I studied abroad in Kingston, Jamaica, where I served as a teacher’s assistant to Kingston’s YMCA program for male high school drop-outs.

These experiences have opened my eyes to the hardships of poverty and my heart to their circumstances. My encounters with these groups of students have endowed me with a passion to close the achievement gap and serve America’s education system. I want to join the education field because it will allow me to act on this desire. I would like to thank Sage Graduate School for providing me with the training and professional support to do so.

No comments: